Wednesday, March 14, 2012

John 6: 60 - 7:13

I was born into a family of the Old South. Segregation had always been a way of life for my parents, and their parents. Our heritage was one where children were to be seen and not heard. Children addressed adults with ‘yes sir’ and “yes ma’am.”  However, I only lived in the south for a few years during my childhood. The culture I was exposed to in the far west and northeast was much different than the one where my parents were raised. When I returned to Florida for college I encountered segregation for the first time. I was confronted with challenges to what I had experienced as the normal way of life and I had to make a decision about the values of my life.

The Israelites listening to Jesus were hearing a Gospel that confounded everything that had been the normal ebb and flow of their culture. For many it was too much and they turned away from Jesus.

Yesterday I noted that what matters most is that we know who Jesus is. Peter’s confession of faith in verses 68-69 is one of the most compelling insights about Jesus’ identity. Jesus’ response to Peter emphasizes the work of the Spirit in bringing people to believe in Jesus, or as the writer of the letter of Hebrews put it, Jesus, is the one initiates and perfects our faith. (Hebrews 12:2)

The Christian writer C.S. Lewis was asked by a journalist when he decided to be a Christian. Lewis laughed and responded, “I didn’t decide. I was decided upon.” In his autobiography Lewis referred to the work of God’s passion for saving His people as, God’s “compulsion is our liberation.” Brennan Manning writes that the Arcadian people who settled Louisiana referred to being ‘born again’ as being ‘seized by a Great Affection.” Both Lewis and Manning are pointing to what Jesus says in verse 65. We do not choose the time and place of our salvation. It is God who takes the initiative for our salvation. In Wesleyan theology we call this prevenient grace; God first, last and always taking the first step.

The Festival of Shelters was held at harvest time and was a reminder for the Jews of the time their ancestors spent camping in the wilderness during the exodus from Egypt. It was one of three great annual celebrations for the Jews, Passover and Pentecost being the other two. John wants us to see that Jesus was demurring about going to Jerusalem in the autumn of the year for the Festival of Shelters because Jesus knew the time was not right. His time would come in the spring, the time for the Passover and the sacrificial lamb.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

15-Mar-12     John 7:14-36

No comments: