Saturday, March 31, 2012

John 14: 25 - 15:17

Four words caught my attention in today’s passage.

Fruit. Jesus expects His disciples to produce much fruit for Him. Jesus’ mission is to make disciples for the transformation of the world. Therefore the fruit he is expecting me to produce, as I remain in Him, is lasting fruit that helps people know and love Him and lasting fruit that builds for Jesus’ Kingdom here on earth. This word fruit gives me pause to examine my life for evidence that my focus, my priorities are aimed at producing fruit for Jesus’ Kingdom.

Friend. Jesus’ words in 15:15 inspired the praise song, Friend of God with its simple, yet profound, chorus: “I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God, he calls me friend.” This word friend gives me pause to examine my life for evidence that I have more than knowledge about Jesus. Do I actually live my life in the reality of a relationship with Jesus? If so, is that relationship more like boss and employee or servant; or do I hear Him call me friend?

Joy. Six times in his Farewell Discourse Jesus speaks of joy. Just as King David said in Psalm 23 his cup overflowed with the goodness of God, Jesus says he wants me to be filled with His joy. “Yes, your joy will overflow” Jesus said. This word joy gives me pause to examine my life for evidence that Jesus’ joy overflows in my life.

Love. Fourteen times in today’s passage Jesus speaks of love. Over and over again he affirms His love for me. Over and over he affirms his command for me to love others in the very same way He loves me. I believe it is His love that makes it possible for me to produce fruit; it is His love that raises me up in friendship; it is His love that fills my life with joy.  This word love gives me pause to examine my life for evidence that I actually live my life in the truth of Jesus’ love for me.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

Reading for 1-Apr-12         John 15:18-16:11

No comments: