Sunday, March 25, 2012

John 11: 45 - 12:11

Jesus had previously expressed concern that the growing tension between Israel and the Roman oppressors would led to a violent outcome. He called the people to the ways of peace instead of insurrection. In today’s passage we see that the religious leaders were also quite concerned about the political situation. They feared that through his miracles Jesus was raising up a multitude to follow him and that the Romans would see this is a threat and respond with great force. John interprets the High Priest’s political statement with a theological insight that affirmed Jesus’ death would be the means to unite the children of God in all nations.

The tension in Jerusalem at the high council was also felt in the community of Bethany were Jesus gathered with his friends and disciples. There is an interesting parallel between this gathering and an occasion when Jesus was in Lazarus’ home as recorded in Luke’s Gospel. In Luke, Mary sits at Jesus’ feet listening to him teach and her sister Martha objects because she thinks Mary should be helping her prepare to serve a meal for Jesus. In John, Mary is again at Jesus’ feet, this time serving him as she anoints him for burial. I suspect the house was filled not only with the scent of perfume but also with tension as the others witnessed Mary’s shameless, extravagant adoration and worship of Jesus. Judas is the one who breaks the silence with the practical observation that the perfume was needlessly being wasted.

There was quite a divergent gathering that day in Bethany. Lazarus, the man Jesus brought from death to life was there. Martha was there, working, striving, and doing what needed to be done. Judas, the pragmatic one, who knew the cost of everything, was there. The other disciples were there, in silence. Mary was there, oblivious of everyone else, giving her heart to Jesus.

If you were there, where were you standing? Maybe you were singing with Mary.

Lord, I Give You My Heart
(Hillsong United)

This is my desire, to honor You
Lord with all my heart I worship You
all I have within me
I give You praise
all that I adore is in You

Lord I give You my heart
I give You my soul
I live for You alone
Every breath that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have Your way in me

<><  <><  <><

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

Reading for 26-Mar-12      John 12:12-36

No comments: