Friday, October 12, 2012

Luke 2:41-52



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
October 12, 2012    I Reasoned with Religious Teachers       
Page 31        Luke 2:41-52

The way Jesus tells this story has an interesting similarity to story he will tell about the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. (Pages 321-22) In both stories, there is a period of three days where Jesus was ‘lost’ and then found again. In both stories Jesus used an imperative to explain what happened: “I must be in my Father’s house”; “the Messiah would have to suffer all these things.” From Jesus’ perspective in both stories, he is not the one who is lost; he is just doing what was necessary for the Messiah to do.

Jesus’ perspective creates a dichotomy for me. On one hand, I know from the Apostle Paul that nothing can separate me from Christ, because Christ lives in me. (Romans 8:35-39 & Colossians 1:27) But on the other hand, from this story that Jesus tells, he is going to be doing what he needs to do, and it is possible that I might lose sight of him.

I understand this to mean that I cannot go off in any direction I choose and assume Jesus will always be with me. However, I can rest in the knowledge that if I do lose sight of Jesus, he can be found again. I just have to look in the right places: the sacraments, prayer and the Bible.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
October 15, 2012    Joseph's Ancestry   Page 35-36   Matthew 1:1-17

No comments: