Monday, October 15, 2012

Matthew 1:1-17



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
October 15, 2012    Joseph's Ancestry   Page 35-36   Matthew 1:1-17

When Matthew wrote the Gospel bearing his name, he did not consult Ancestry.com to learn about the genealogy of Jesus. He learned about Jesus’ ancestors from Jesus. Jesus knew we can learn much about the nature of God, and how God has been working His plan of redemption, by taking the time to look and see how He has been working through generations of His people to accomplish His purposes.  Reading the list of names is like walking through a hall of fame. Two parts of this genealogy stand out to me.

First, there are five women mentioned among Jesus’ ancestors. This is important beyond the fact that each of the women (Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary) contributed greatly to God’s redemptive work. The inclusion of the women at the writing of this Gospel was hugely counter-cultural, and underscores that from the very beginning of the story of Jesus’ life, gender equality was emphasized.

Next, the promised Messiah was to be a descendant of King David. This ancestry flows to Joseph, but Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus. There is much theological debate on this point; however, for me it is very personal. I am not the biological father of two of my children. Even so, to me they are as much bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood as my biological child. I know Joseph understands how I feel.


Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
October 16, 2012    My Mother's Ancestry        Page 36-38   Luke 3:23b-38

No comments: