Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Matthew 2:1b-12; Luke 2:39



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
October 10, 2012    Men from Babylon Travel to Worship Me
Page 27 - Matthew 2:1b-12; Luke 2:39

By combining the four Gospels, and putting them in the first person, we are able to encounter the Gospels in a new and refreshing way. However, this presentation is not without risks. Each of the four Gospels has a unique perspective on their presentation of Jesus the Messiah. Accordingly, the Gospels will not always easily lend themselves to being combined in a precise chronology. Today’s reading is an example of this difficulty. Beginning with Luke’s account of Jesus’ family journeying “home to Nazareth in Galilee” after the purification offering, the scene then shifts to the wise men in Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Only Matthew’s Gospel tells of the visit of the wise men and the escape to Egypt. Because only redundant material is left out of this presentation, we will encounter some seemingly conflicting accounts in the chronology. However, as the Gospels have unique perspectives, it is neither essential, nor necessary that we try and reconcile their individual chronologies.

Whenever I read about the wise men following a star to Bethlehem, I remember a time when I was visiting friends in Cuba. On one occasion, we were traveling late at night and my friend stopped the car, and turned off the headlights. We stepped out of the car into total darkness. As I looked up, I immediately thought of Psalm 8: “When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers — the moon and the stars you set in place — what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?” I have no trouble believing the wise men could easily have followed a star to Bethlehem.

Jesus was born into a time of trouble, tension, violence and fear. From the time of his birth, Jesus comes to where people are over-wrought with pain and suffering. It is our human nature to think that when everything seems to be going wrong, we must be far from God. The account of the wise men visiting Jesus reminds me that when I am overwhelmed by circumstances and worry, my God is closest to me. This story also makes clear to me that God has unlimited resources to meet our needs. Here, Gentile astrologers provide Jesus all the wealth they will need to seek refuge in Egypt.

“And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”

Philippians 4:19-20 NRSV

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
October 11, 2012    My Escape into Egypt        
Page 27-28   Matthew 2:13-23; Luke 2:40

No comments: