Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Baptism in the Jordan



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
October 18, 2012    My Baptism in the Jordan   
Page 45        Matthew 3:13-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21-22, 4:1a

God’s message to Jesus, the Messiah, at his baptism is both endearing and chilling: “You are my beloved Son, and I am fully pleased with you.” The endearing part is obvious.

The chilling part is in the similarity of the words to the witness of two other Biblical passages. In Isaiah 42, the Messiah of God is revealed as the suffering servant, “Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, who pleases me” (Isaiah 42:1). In Genesis 20, God called Abraham to sacrifice his only son, “Take your son, your only son—yes, Isaac, whom you love so much . . .” (Genesis 20:2). Ultimately, God provided a ram for this sacrifice and Abraham did not sacrifice Isaac. However, God did sacrifice his beloved Son, with whom he was fully pleased.

God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son to save the world. When a person is reconciled to God through faith in the Messiah Jesus, God speaks into the life of the believer the same words He spoke to Jesus, ““You are my beloved son/daughter, and I am fully pleased with you.”

Yesterday I noted that the coming of God’s Kingdom will bring God’s justice into the world through the lives of the followers of the Messiah. Could it be that God expects all of his children to live sacrificial lives that proclaim God’s saving grace in the Messiah?  Could it be that God expects all of his children to live sacrificial lives that work God’s justice into the world?


Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
October 19, 2012    I Was Tempted in the Wilderness  
Page 45-46   Matthew 4:1-11; Mark 1:12-13; Luke 4:1b-13

No comments: