Friday, May 19, 2023

Cancel Culture

Meditations on Second Corinthians

May 19, 2023

Cancel Culture

You put up with it when someone enslaves you, takes everything you have, takes advantage of you, takes control of everything, and slaps you in the face.

2 Corinthians 11:20

Read: 2 Corinthians 11:16-21a

(Remember, at the first of the week, I noted the reading of the last 4 chapters of 2 Corinthians may be a bit tedious, and there will be quite a lot of repetition.)

Today’s brief passage announces Paul’s intention to take on his distractors, on their own terms. Paul didn’t lack confidence, and I suspect he believed he was up to the challenge of the Judaizers. But his challenge was not just the Judaizers. He is seeking to bring the whole church into this debate because he is desperately fighting for the soul of the church.

The lengths to which Paul goes to fight for the church serve as an inspiration for me. In every generation since the resurrection of Jesus, the new community of believers has had her distractors. The prevailing culture does not want to change. And the forces of evil will not surrender until our Blessed Lord comes again in Final Victory. I am writing this on a rainy day as I sit safe and warm in my home. But my safety is an illusion, as surly the thief is close at hand seeking to kill steal and destroy the people of God.

How do I maintain my composure, whether safely in my home, or out in the world?

My Takeaway: Like Paul, I stake everything on my belief in the Gospel of my Risen Lord, Christ Jesus. When I give all my life to the Gospel, the power of the Gospel will see me through.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2023 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: