Tuesday, May 9, 2023

For Your Sakes

Meditations on Second Corinthians

May 9, 2023

For Your Sakes

You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich.

2 Corinthians 8:9

Read: 2 Corinthians 8:8-15

“Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” (Ephesians 3:20) I find this verse a very helpful reminder that our God is so very much more than we can ever possibly understand. That is, perhaps, until we see Him face to face where we know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is. (1 John 3:2)

I thought of this passage in Ephesians as I read verse 9 above because it opens the door to balancing yesterday’s meditation with another very important facet of God’s nature. Yesterday, I wrote that my life does not belong to me. By creation and redemption my life belongs to God. Therefore, I offer to God an acceptable worship with reverence and awe, for indeed our God is a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12:28-29 NRSV) Yes, very true.

Also true is that though he was rich, for our sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make us rich. This points me to Psalm 23. Our God, who is a consuming fire, and to whom I belong, is also my shepherd. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along the right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for he is close beside me. His rod and staff protect and comfort me. He prepares a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. He honors me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.

My Takeaway: Surely my shepherd’s goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever. Amen!

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2023 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: