Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Two Sides of The Same Coin

Meditations on Second Corinthians

May 16, 2023

Two Sides of The Same Coin

As the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”

2 Corinthians 10:17

Read: 2 Corinthians 10:12-18

Apparently, the Judaizers were tearing down Paul to build themselves up before the church. Paul addressed that issue head on: “But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard of measurement. How ignorant!” (v.12b)

Paul was very consistent in how he approached detractors. He didn’t try to outdo them by cultural standards of debate. He appealed only to the Word of God. His reference in verse 17, above, comes from Jeremiah 9:24,

“but let those who boast boast in this, that they understand and know me, that I am the Lord; I act with steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the Lord.” (NRSV)

The Apostle Paul is demonstrating the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy in John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.” We experience this prophecy in what I believe are two sides of the same coin. The first side of the coin is the explicit work of the evil one whom Jesus referred to as the thief. The second side of the coin is our own sinful, corrupt nature which the thief joyfully exploits to his purpose of destroying the people of God.

My Takeaway: Satan is waging war against the Kingdom of God, Christian churches, and Christian people. I need to realize, every day, that this war is coming for me. The good news is that Jesus came that I may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10) And God has equipped me with all I need to take my stand for Christ. (See Ephesians 6:10ff) He has equipped you too!

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2023 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: