Monday, May 8, 2023

When I Give Him Myself

Meditations on Second Corinthians

 May 8, 2023

When I Give Him Myself

They even did more than we had hoped, for their first action was to give themselves to the Lord and to us, just as God wanted them to do.

2 Corinthians 8:5

Read: 2 Corinthians 8:1-7

The preacher was new in the town and began visiting his new flock. He stopped by the office of a businessman, who trying to impress the new preacher said, “Reverend, every week I have my secretary mail a check to the church.”

A missionary was witnessing to the chief of a primitive tribe. The chief wanted to impress the missionary and offered her horses, blankets, and jewelry. The missionary replied, “My God does not want the chief’s horses, blankets, and jewelry. My God wants the chief himself.” The chief smiled and said, “You have a very wise God, for when I give Him myself, He also gets horses, blankets, and jewelry.”

This is the message of Paul in today’s passage. All my gifts and offerings to God should begin in my heart as I remember my life does not belong to me. By creation and redemption my life belongs to God.

My Takeaway: “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable worship with reverence and awe, for indeed our God is a consuming fire.” (Hebrews 12:28-29 NRSV)

My desire is that my gratitude and offerings to God will always reflect my worship of God with reverence and awe.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2023 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

 

No comments: