Sunday, November 27, 2011

Colossians 2

In my dream I walked into a small jewelry store. The display case on my left glimmers with beautiful diamonds, on my right are rubies and sapphires, behind me are emeralds, and in a display case in the middle are the most beautiful pearls I have ever seen. Help yourself the proprietor says. Where do I begin?

That’s pretty much how I feel after reading Colossians Two. There are so many precious gems, so many pearls, where do I begin? Two precious gems caught my attention today.

I see Paul connecting the life in Christ to the words of Jesus in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” Paul teaches me that in Jesus are “all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” In Jesus is all the fullness of God. Because my life is in Jesus, I am complete. (3, 9-10.) How can this be?

This is truth because I have been made alive in Christ. Jesus took my sins and they were nailed to the cross with him. Because of the faithfulness of Christ my sins have been forgiven. In ancient times when an enemy was defeated, the conquering General would bind the defeated general in chains and take him prisoner. When the conquering General returned home there was a huge parade in his honor and the defeated general, in chains, was made to walk at the end of the parade, where, now disarmed, he was shamed publicly. Rising from the grave, Christ destroyed Satan’s power over sin and death. Satan was publicly shamed when Jesus forgave all my sins, when Jesus canceled the record of the charges against me. (13-15.)

Every Sunday is Resurrection Sunday, a time of remembering that because I have died with Christ I am now alive in Christ; Christ has set me free from the spiritual powers of this world. (20)

 Colossians 2
What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

28-Nov-11     Col. 3

No comments: