Friday, November 25, 2011

Philippians 4

I love the Book of Philippians. Every time I read it I discover something new to me. Two parts captured my attention anew this morning. Because chapter four is so fully packed with one gem after another, previously I have not paid much attention to the opening words or final greeting.

But this morning verse 2 attracted me like a magnet. I could see the essence of life in Christ. I believe one simple phrase says all that needs to be said: “Please, because you belong to the Lord.” Therein is my motivation to strive for unity in the body of Christ. Therein is my motivation to strive to be fully transformed, to seek the life in Christ as my way of life. Therein I remember my life does not belong to me. My life belongs to God. By creation and redemption my life belongs to God. Learning to live out of that reality will occupy my life until my faith becomes sight and I rest in the loving arms of Jesus.

If I were to write a musical score for chapter four it would begin slowly, and then with each passage it would build until it reached the dramatic and surprising climax in verse 22. The score would build momentum through Paul’s encouragement to rejoice, pray, seek peace, focus my life on the things of God, follow the example of Paul and experience peace, and be content. The score reaches its highest point at “I can do everything through Christ” then slows a bit before reaching a high again at “all glory to God our Father forever and ever! Amen.”

But, it’s not over. Somehow the music will carry on with anticipation that something else is coming, and then I see it. “And all the rest of God’s people send you greetings, too, especially those in Caesar’s household.”

Paul’s community of believers has reached the most unlikely of places; Caesar’s household. This simple verse is a towering reminder that God has planted me exactly where he wants me. The fields are ripe and ready for harvest if only I would see with the eyes of Jesus, if only I would love with the heart of Jesus.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

26-Nov-11     Col. 1

No comments: