Sunday, January 1, 2012

Luke 4:31-5:11

I wonder what Jesus said?

Jesus borrowed Peter’s boat and after being pushed off shore Jesus sat in the boat to teach the crowd. Later we’ll learn that Peter had been fishing all night, therefore, he had not been at his own house when Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law. Peter had not witnessed the other miracles. But, after he heard Jesus teach he called Jesus, ‘Master’. He heard enough to follow Jesus suggestion of where to fish. While I’m sure the miracle of catching all the fish had something to do with Peter’s decision to follow Jesus, I believe it was what he heard Jesus teach that caused Peter to leave family, home and vocation to follow Jesus.

On this first day of the New Year I will be remembering what I heard Jesus say, what was the witness of the Holy Spirit to me thirty-one years ago, that caused me to leave family, home and vocation to follow Jesus as an itinerate preacher.

And, I’ll be listening for that voice to summons me to the journey my Master has planned for me in this New Year.

Are you listening for the Voice calling you to follow Jesus?

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

2-Jan-12       Luke 5:12-26

No comments: