Monday, January 2, 2012

Luke 5:12-26

Jesus knew the people needed to hear about the love of God for them. Jesus knew the people needed to learn about God’s vision for truth, justice and mercy to flow through the world. Jesus knew the people needed to learn about the part God wants them to play in God’s plan of redemption. Jesus also knew the people were broken and hurting. They needed healing for body and spirit. Jesus made himself accessible. Those who needed to be healed could come to Jesus; except the paralyzed man. He desperately needed to come, but couldn’t, not on his own.

The paralyzed man and his friends conspired to find a way to Jesus. In the words from the praise song, Breathe, “And I I'm desperate for you; And I I'm lost without you (Breathe ©1995 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing Words and Music by Marie Barnett)

I receive the paralyzed man’s story as an invitation to look deep within myself. Where does my self-sufficiency end? For what am I desperate for God? Where am I lost without God?

I also see another invitation. The paralyzed man’s friends took huge risks to help their friend, who could not help himself. Their friendship was love that is self-sacrificing for the good of another. Is there anyone in my life that needs me to love like that? Am I willing to love like that?

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?


3-Jan-12       Luke 5:27-6:11

No comments: