Thursday, January 12, 2012

Luke 9: 18-36

When is a person saved? While I believe Jesus’ promise that he has me securely in his hand and he will never, ever lose me (John 10:27-29) I also believe a person can be casual, inconsistent, uncommitted to the cause of Christ and make a decision to turn away from the Kingdom of God. It’s like they have one foot in the boat with Christ and one foot still securely planted in their own will. 

But, there is also a point of no return, a point where a person has journeyed far enough with Christ to know they want Jesus and no other to be the center of their life. When a person crosses that line there is no turning back, because they don’t want to turn back and because they are securely in Jesus’ hand. What does it take for a person to be safe and secure in Jesus’ hand? How far is far enough to reach the point of no return.

The Bible is clear that this point of no return is not paved with good works. I can’t earn my way to that point. But, the Bible is also clear that there is proof or fruit of repentance, as Jesus noted in Luke 7:35 “But wisdom is shown to be right by the lives of those who follow it.”

I believe Jesus makes it clear in Luke 9:23-26 that there is a cost to discipleship and that not all people will be willing to pay that cost. There is no simple formula to calculate this cost. But, Jesus does want us to know we are saved, he wants us to have the assurance of our faith, he wants us to rest in the knowledge he has us securely in his hand.

I have come to that wonderful place where I know I am resting in the smile of God’s affection for me. I cannot identify a particular place or time where I entered into this blessed assurance; I just know I am there. For me, one of the signs of my assurance is my response to reading a passage like Luke 9:23-26. I immediately recall the words of Psalm 139: 23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
      test me and know my anxious thoughts.
 Point out anything in me that offends you,
      and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

To me, a willingness to submit my life to God, to be tested by God, is evidence that “wisdom is shown to be right” in my life.


What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

13-Jan-12     Luke 9:37-56

No comments: