Monday, February 27, 2012

Hebrews 11: 32 - 12:13

Our passage for today includes some of the most compelling teaching in the Book of Hebrews. Three points stand out to me. First, I need to play close attention to the things in my life that may become obstacles to my living life in Christ. The motivation for this comes through recalling that to be a Christian is to be part of a Christian Community. This community, also known as the fellowship of believers and the family of God, can trace its roots all the back to Abraham. All the people the author identified as being in the Hall of Fame of those who lived by faith are in our family tree. That Hall of Fame includes those mentioned by the author and many more including John Wesley, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Mother Teresa. Remembering their examples of faithful living encourages me to do my very best for Christ. To do my best for Christ requires that I often pray, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

The second point is to remember the life in Christ is a marathon not a sprint. One of the essential qualities for a life being transformed by God to be like Christ is patience. I believe “God is working in (me), giving (me) the desire and the power to do what pleases him.” (Philippians 2:13) But, God is working with his agenda, his time frame, not mine.

The third point is to keep ever before me the number one essential in the life in Christ; Fix your eyes on Jesus. For our reading of chapter eleven I noted that faith involves looking to the future promised by God and trusting God to bring that future to reality. Did you notice the author of Hebrews wrote that “Because of the joy awaiting him, (Jesus) endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.” (12:2b) Jesus kept his eye on the finish line, on God’s vision for the redemption of the world. Jesus is my model for life and faith and thus I am called to follow Jesus by ever keeping before me the glory of God’s coming Kingdom.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

28-Feb-12     Heb. 12:14-29

No comments: